Thursday, August 15, 2013

An Electrifying Wedding & A Flexible Faith

It's not everyday that a lightning storm strikes just hours before your outdoor wedding.  Helen & Evan could not have guessed that a blue sky, warm morning would quickly turn into an electrifying show lighting up the sky and shaking the vineyard grounds.  Lights began to flicker as the power was overtaken by the storm.  The couple stepped out onto the back porch veranda and looked out at the perfectly set-up chairs, trees, barrels and altar realizing that they were going to have to be flexible throughout the rest of their day.

Being a wedding photographer automatically puts the pressure to capture the highlights of the day.  I immediately began praying that this couple would have the coolest lightning bolt picture and that they would feel happy in this seemingly devastating moment.  5 clicks of my camera and the Lord answered my prayers.

A lightning bolt struck just 200 meters away from us.  Everyone looked at the photo and were amazed. Many were proclaiming that God was in our presence.

Within minutes the wedding venue was set up inside the beautiful ballroom.  The storm could have ruined Helen's day, but because she was flexible she not only had a wonderful wedding indoors, but had one of the coolest wedding photos!

I can't help but relate this analogy to our life.  There are times in our life when we plan to do things one way, just like Helen planned to have her wedding outdoors.  We become so set on this plan that if anything were to change we run the possibility of having a breakdown.  Throughout my life I've noticed that God often doesn't run on my plans.  He is constantly stretching and stretching my faith, making me more flexible and reliant on him.  But if you have ever began to stretch your muscles, you know there is a brief period of discomfort.  There is a moment when you feel that your body might break if you push it any further.  There are also times in our faith where we feel worried or uncomfortable.  We begin to feel anxious and overwhelmed.  But God says to not be anxious but to present our requests to him and when we embrace God's presence he will give us a peace that transcends all understanding.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7

This is an amazing promise from Jesus.  Just like Helen & Evan had to be flexible on their wedding day, God requires us to have a flexible faith.  He wants to bless and take care of us.  We just need to trust the spirits leading of our life so that we can step into that blessing!

I invite you to ponder these questions with me today.

Have there been areas in my life that I have held onto that the Lord wants me to give up to him?

What does it look like in my own life to have a flexible faith?

PS: To see more photos as they are posted from this wedding, please "like" my Facebook photography page HERE !



No comments:

Post a Comment