Friday, August 16, 2013

Random Thoughts Friday

I would love to share with you a few of the random thoughts that have passed through my mind this morning.  Maybe you can relate with me on one of them?! :)

Random Thought #1- It's Friday!  Even though it's summer, I still get excited when it's Friday!  What do you like to do on the weekends?  I have a wedding dress rehearsal to go to but then i'm thinking about watching tangled while eating homemade kettle corn, yummy!

Random Thought #2- While I was reading the word this morning I was thinking and praying about my last year of graduate school.  I feel slightly tired beginning this second leg and stretch to the end.  While praying I remembered a time in my life where I sort of felt the same way...

Most of my life i've ran track as a sprinter.  I loved the adrenaline rush of the gun firing and the quick sprint to the finish.  It's as if I didn't even have a chance to get tired because it all went by so quickly.  Everyone told me I was a great starter, but to me the race was so quick it felt like the whole race was a "start".  One day I was asked to run an 800 (2 laps around the track) because a girl had to drop out and they needed someone to fill her spot.  Slightly nervous about the distance I agreed and walked up to the starting line.  As the gun fired I took off, slightly slower than a sprint but faster than the other runners.  After the first lap I was a good 100 meters in front of the other runners and I felt good... until I hit the "runners wall".  It's as if my body just quit.  My lungs began grasping for breath and every step felt like I was carrying a bag of bricks.  One by one the different runners passed on either side.  I mustered everything I had to push out and finish the race.  That was the day I realized that running required strategy and a strong mental attitude.

This uncomfortable memory reminded me that I need to be a strong finisher this year.  I need to pray and ask God to give me the mental determination and stamina to pace myself so that I can finish the graduate school race strong and confidently.  "Dear Jesus, I feel that I am growing tired and that this last year of school will be hard.  I know you have given me this opportunity to go to graduate school not because of what I've done, but because you want to bless me with this gift.  I ask that you will equip me with the everything I need to finish out the year strong and confident.  I ask that my thesis research will flow smoothly and quickly and that I will remember to pace myself throughout the process!  Thank you for your promise of peace and rest when I embrace you as my savior!  Amen."

Random Thought #3- Do you ever have those weeks where you feel like you are doing so much and you're not sure how it will all get done?  When I am busy, I usually feel like my to do list will never get done... but this week is different. This week I have a new, positive, mental attitude and I am loving it.  I have a laundry list of things to do today but I feel like God has equipped me with everything I need to get it done!  It's a great feeling and I want to continue this next year of school with this new hopeful and positive mental attitude!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!




4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts Julia! Random thought #3 really applied to me: I move into my new dorm room at my new school tomorrow, and I'm super stressed because along with moving in there are a TON of mandatory events for new students over the weekend and on Monday, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get through everything and still have time to set-up and enjoy my new room! I have been very stressed out, but this post was a good reminder to me that God is always in control, and I should give my anxiety about this situation to him. :-)

    Thank-you for sharing your heart!

    xoxo Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I often wonder if anyone sees my posts haha (new blogger problems). I just said a prayer for you as you embark on this new adventure! Moving into a new place is always a little stressful especially for me because i'm kind of a home body and sometimes I get worried about new situations (so I sort of know how you feel). I prayed that God would make this transition smooth and fun for you, and I believe he will! :D You will have to let me know how the move goes!!

      Delete
  2. I just prayed that same prayer above except I replaced "finishing off grad school" with "starting out graduate school." It was a great reminder reading this post and remembering how important it is to pray about everything before it actually happens. God isn't going to do anything in our lives if we don't take action first through prayer with Him, and I think I often forget that! I feel that busy feeling quite often..thankfully Jesus has been teaching me more this summer to "be in the moment!"
    Love ya Jules! awesome/encouraging post :)
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, we need to pray about everything before it happens! I think it's so easy to walk into a situation and only begin praying when we need something or are worried, but I think Jesus wants us to constantly be in communication with him throughout our day! Thanks for the encouraging comment and can't wait to see you at school in just a couple short weeks!

      Delete