Thursday, August 1, 2013

God's Love For Us

Think back to the person who has loved you the most...  Maybe it's a mom, dad or family member.  Maybe it's a close friend from school or church.  How did you know that person loved you?  Was it because of how much time they spent with you, or the gifts they gave you, or the kind words spoken to you, or the tough truth explained to you, or the acts of service that helped you out?  When I answer these questions myself, two people instantly come to mind: my mom and dad.

During the past few days I have been looking through some old photo albums I found in the garage.  In the photo albums are not self portraits, or nature shots, or even friends.  Most of the pictures are of my mom and dad and a little baby between them.  That little baby is me.  In each picture I see a gaze of admiration on this little baby they have formed and been entrusted to take care of.  The pictures show events in my life that they wanted to capture on film so they would never forget.

Now, think back to a person in your life who has loved you the most.  God's love is so much greater than that person.  The Bible says in Isaiah 49:15-16: "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has born?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."  Wow, this verse speaks so much truth and peace in my life.  When I think back to how much my parents love me and how they want to remember all the seemingly little moments in my life I realize that God also catalogs each and EVERY moment in my life.  He lavishes us with his perfect love.  He delights in our God created beauty.  We are his beloved.

Someone once said: "From all eternity, long before you were born and became a part of history, you existed in God's heart.  Long before your parents admired you or your friends acknowledged your gifts or your teachers, colleagues and employers encouraged you, you were already 'chosen.'  The eyes of love had seen you as precious, as of infinite beauty, as of eternal value... That's the truth spoken by the voice that says, 'You are my beloved.' Listening to that voice with great inner attentiveness, I hear at my center words that say: 'I have called you by name, from the very beginning.  you are mine and I am yours.  You are my Beloved, on you my favor rests.  I have molded you in the depths of the earth and knitted you together in your mother's womb.  I have carved you in the palms of my hands and hidden you in the shadow of my embrace.  I look at you with infinite tenderness and care for you with a care more intimate than that of a mother for her child.  I have counted every hair on your head and guided you at every step.  Wherever you go, I go with you, and wherever you rest, I keep watch.  I will give you food that will satisfy all your hunger and drink that will quench all your thirst."  {Henri J.M. Nouwen, Life of the Beloved}

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I have experienced God's love for me in his constant closeness in my life.  When I pray at night I know God hears me because he responds to me in such a real way.  He doesn't often respond audibly.  Instead it's a quiet whisper which points me to a scripture to verify what I feel he is telling me.  Having a constant relationship with Jesus has allowed me to feel peace in affliction and hope in troubling times.


As I focus on him I begin to realize there are many things that prevent me from experiencing God's love in a fuller measure.  For example, I have areas of sin and selfishness which take the focus off of God's love, yet in my mistakes, God still demonstrates his love for me.  Romans 5:8 says that "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Knowing and feeling this truth transforms my heart.  I realize God's love is unconditional and transformational.  He continues to change my selfishness to compassion on a daily basis.  I am able to see my self worth, my beauty, and the favor the Lord has given me.
Over the past few days I have been applying this truth of God's unmeasurable love for me into my life.  
I invite you to reflect on these questions with me:

1. Is there a time when you have experienced God's love for you? 
2. Is there anything in your life that creates a barrier to experiencing God's love in a fuller measure?  
3.  Does knowing your are loved by God and cherished by God cause you to live your life differently?

4 comments:

  1. I just love this post Jules!! You are so genuine and your heart for The Lord is so beautiful. I totally agree with you on how amazing it is to have a personal relationship with The Lord and how he responds to our prayers in such "a real way," I think that is what many people miss-that God is a God of relationship, and not some "holier than thou" object in the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Jess! I have realized that prayer is one of the most important things in my relationship with God! Can't wait to vlog together this fall. It shall be a good time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeahhh!! our VLOG is going to be amazing! ; ) haha but seriously. Can't wait for it and to finally see you!

      Delete
  3. Only a short month ahead before we are reunited again :D

    ReplyDelete